I had an amazing time at The Traeger Shop Class at the Alfresco Chef Blackpool HQ. Hosted by the wonderfully knowledgeable Diva Q, we made a smoked Lemonade cocktail. Which is available on the Traeger App, however i thought ... 'ooh that'd be nice as a Lemon curd'.
Great in a wee pastry tart, spooned on shortbread, made into an Ice cream.
Smoking the lemons gives a lovely rounded almost sherbet flavour.
It's a simple recipe that takes a bit of time but very much worth it. Try it
- 8 lemons, topped and tailed and cut into 3 slices
- 1 Lemon for zest and fresh juice
- 50ml Traeger Simple Syrup
- 50g Soft Brown Sugar
- 200g Caster sugar
- 100g unsalted butter
- 4 medium Eggs
- Set your smoker to 200f/ 94c (super smoke on your Traeger)
- Trim and Cut the 8 lemons into 3 slices (reserving the one for zest)
- Pop them on a low sided tray and sprinkle lightly though a sieve with soft brown sugar. Put them in the smoker for around an hour or until the lemons are soft enough to easily juice and they look like they have taken on the smoke.
- Remove and leave to cool to enable squishing.
- Zest your spare lemon
- 1/4 fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a simmer. Put a Pyrex or heatproof bowl over as a bain-marie.
- Squish the cooked lemons through a sieve into the bowl making sure you extract all that smokey juiciness, add the fresh zest and Simple Syrup.
- Cut the butter into chunks and add to the bowl, add the sugar and Stir the mixture to melt the butter and combine.
- Beat the eggs and slowly add to the mixture, whisking it all together.
- Keep mixing for around 10 mins until the mixture has thickened like custard and forms a skin on the back of a spoon that can be separated with your finger, (or keep going till 74c)
Give it a taste.
Does it need the fresh lemon juice from your reserved lemon? if so juice and add that.
Pour the mixture through a sieve into sterilised jars.
Keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or make ice cream!