BBQ cooking doesn't always have to be about Meat. This is a super cheap, pretty quick cook that is filling and super tasty.
Veggie spicy bean burgers or croquettes filling a taco, in a bun, crumbled on a salad. Perfectly spicy with a good dose of health.
Makes Approx 24 croquettes or 12 patties or 4 quarter pounders (simply half the below for less)
Spicy Bean Burger
BBQ cooking doesn't always have to be about Meat. This is a super cheap, pretty quick cook that is filling and super tasty. Veggie spicy bean burgers or croquettes filling a taco, in a bun, crumbled on a salad. Perfectly spicy with a good dose of health.
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 fresh birds eye chillies (remove seeds for less heat)
- 1 tsp each of chilli powder, cumin, paprika & coriander
- Handful fresh coriander
- 75g oats
- 1 tbsp flaxmeal (plus 100g for breading)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 400g tin kidney beans
- 200g tin salt free sweetcorn
- 125g grated Mozzarella
- 1 beaten egg
- 50g panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 100g flaxmeal
- Roughly chop the onion, garlic, and chillies into similar sized chunks.
- Pop them into a food processor and add the dried spices.
- Snip the coriander into the processor with some scissors
- Add the oats, flaxmeal, a pinch of salt and healthy grind of black pepper.
- Drain and rinse the sweetcorn and kidney beans add about three quarters of that. (keeping the remaining for later to add texture)
- Whizz or pulse that till it's all combined
- Tip into a bowl and add the remaining beans and sweetcorn.
- Add the Mozzarella and smoodge all that together with your hands adding a small glug of olive oil if its too dry
- Pop into the fridge to firm up a little.
- Form into burger sized patties or inch round croquettes & pop back into the fridge for an hour to firm back up.
- Get 2 plates and a bowl out.
- Beat the egg in the bowl. Line one of the plates with flour and mix the baking powder into the flour. Line the other plate with 50/50 mix of panko and flaxmeal
- Once the patties or croquettes have firmed up, one by one roll in the flour, egg, then panko mix.
- To cook as burgers use a cast iron plate on your BBQ, or shallow fry on your hob or bbq. The croquettes i prefer to deep fry
- The cheese should be all melty and deliciously stringy.
Serve in a toasted brioche bun, or in a taco with some sriracha mayo (simply mix mayo with sriracha sauce and a squeeze of lime juice)